Gabriola, Mudge and Decourcy
Community Economic Development
Welcome to a deeper perspective on island life
Whether you are a long time islander or a wanna-be resident, this website is a great source for tapping in and connecting to what is happening in our community.
The island community is inclusive, queer friendly and ability focused. We strive to build sustainability and have a strong network of community organizations with many engaged volunteers that are passionate about creating positive local impact.
There are resources here to help you understand the lay of the land beyond being a visitor.
Love where you live – Support Local!
The Gabriola Island Chamber of Commerce is providing a tool for all local businesses to outline and update their current services being offered, in one common location.
This resource page will assist residents to quickly determine what level of modified business services are available during this difficult time.
Latest News and Projects
Social Media Manager – Gabriola Tourism
This role manages the social media marketing and online content for Gabriola Island Tourism as it relates to the execution of the Gabriola Chamber Communications Plan. Reporting to the Executive Director and Office Administrator, this role generates creative content while connecting with visitors and locals to build and maintain relationships, brand awareness and reputation of the Gabriola as a destination. 3 month term with potential for further contract.
- Generating, editing, publishing and sharing weekly social media content including general promotion of Gabriola, writing posts to publicize events, carry out marketing campaigns
- Sharing user-generated content in a way that respects the original content creators – fairness, permission, credit, in moderation
- Monitoring and engaging in comment and messaging conversations
- Reporting on social data/metrics, insights and best practices, and then acting on the information
- 16 posts total per month + engagement, story shares
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of online marketing and good understanding of major marketing channels
- Social networking experience and knowledge of social analytics tools
- Experience using Facebook’s Business Manager is an asset
- Able to take direction, meet deadlines and pay attention to detail
- Excellent writing, editing (photo/video/text) and communication skills
- Understanding of audience targeting on Facebook/Instagram
- Passionate about Gabriola as a place to live, work, play, experience and explore
Some work experience and/or education in social media or related fields and/or the ability to craft a social media strategy is preferred.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com by June 12, 2021
This is a remote, part-time position with no set hours. The range of pay is $200 – $250 per month depending on experience.
Gabriola Island 2020/21 Visitor Guide COVER CONTEST We are looking for an original image that showcases the beauty and vibrancy of island life. The image can be a photograph, painting, drawing or graphic art. A picture is worth a thousand words and we’re looking for...
The "Big Night In" is finally here! We encourage you to make an event of it! Put a blanket out on the lawn, connect some good speakers, order take-out, and serve up some special drinks. Dress up and dance while watching your favorite performing artists from Gabriola...
Online Event Series: Application Open Now Couch Fest is a series of online events designed to celebrate and support the arts at home. The intention is to help bridge the financial gaps that our professional artists have incurred due to the COVID19 pandemic. As...
Community Business Directory
The Directory component is a newly developing resource for locals and visitors alike. Sign up is free for all local businesses and enterprises and we hope to encouraged the use of it widely.
The 3 linked websites, Tourism Gabriola, the Gabriola Chamber and this site are all fed by the same directory database. The goal is to get all businesses, community organizations and enterprise listed for the 3 islands in one, online searchable place, for both locals and visitors to use. The more fully subscribed the Directory becomes the better it will be as a tool for marketing, promotion, collaboration and networking.
The goals for this Community Economic Development site
To be full of resources, links and information for the many kinds of enterprise on the island.
To create a positive mindset and approach to our local economy, where we collaborate to build sustainability and we understand that fostering resiliency creates positive community wellbeing.
To connect, network and info share between local businesses, residents, organizations and visitors.
To share the projects, collaborations and initiatives being worked on by the Community Economic Development Officer.