Gabriola, Mudge and Decourcy
Community Economic Development
Welcome to a deeper perspective on island life
Whether you are a long time islander or a wanna-be resident, this website is a great source for tapping in and connecting to what is happening in our community.
The island community is inclusive, queer friendly and ability focused. We strive to build sustainability and have a strong network of community organizations with many engaged volunteers that are passionate about creating positive local impact.
There are resources here to help you understand the lay of the land beyond being a visitor.
Love where you live – Support Local!
The Gabriola Island Chamber of Commerce is providing a tool for all local businesses to outline and update their current services being offered, in one common location. This resource page will assist residents to quickly determine what level of modified business services are available during this difficult time.
Latest News and Projects
Gabriola Island 2020/21 Visitor Guide
We are looking for an original image that showcases the beauty and vibrancy of island life. The image can be a photograph, painting, drawing or graphic art. A picture is worth a thousand words and we’re looking for the picture that tells the Gabriola Island story.
- The contest will be open for submissions starting on June 3rd, 2020 and ending on Monday June 15, 2020.
- Submissions are sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, contact, details of the image and why it represents island life to you.
- Accepting all mediums of vibrant imagery – drawing/painting/photography/graphic art
- The top three submissions will be presented to the public on Saturday June 20. Community voting will be open until June 27th.
- The winning cover will be announced and presented on July 1, 2020
CONTEST RULES AND REGULATIONS
What we are looking for:
- We want something creative, unique, and eye-catching
- The photo must be taken on Gabriola. If artwork, it must relate to Gabriola.
- The image should be vertical, full color and high res (minimum 300 DPI).
- Empty space in the image for legible text overlay is important to consider.
What we are NOT looking for:
- Malaspina Galleries images will not be accepted as it was the cover in recent years and will be featured on the inside cover.
- No black and white images.
What will the top submission WIN???
- Prize money in the amount of $200
- Plus a $100 gift certificate to a local business of their choice
- Chamber website and social channels will share a story and promote the winner
- The winner’s photo will be featured on the from cover of the 2020/21 Visitor Guide. Photo credit and cover contest story will be listed in the brochure.
A few more things to keep in mind for the contest:
- All artwork/photos must be received within the cover contest time frame, June 1-15.
- Applicants can only submit their own artwork/photographs, and the artist/photographer will need to agree to signing off the full rights of the photo for use on the visitor guide cover, on our website, social media, and other Tourism Gabriola promotions in perpetuity if chosen as the winner. Photo credit will be given where possible.
- The photo can contain people, but model releases must be provided to Tourism Gabriola for anyone recognizable in the photo.
- Contestants can enter up to two (2) images BUT they must be submitted individually.
- The top three submissions will be selected by a judging panel made up of the staff and council of the GICC, as well as the graphic designer for the publication. Top three contestants will be informed by the email address they provide.
- The judging panel reserves the right to not use any of the submissions for the cover if none are deemed suitable.
Gabriolans will vote for their favorite of the top three and the contest winner will be featured on the cover page of the 2020/21 Gabriola Visitor Guide.
We look forward to receiving your submissions!
The "Big Night In" is finally here! We encourage you to make an event of it! Put a blanket out on the lawn, connect some good speakers, order take-out, and serve up some special drinks. Dress up and dance while watching your favorite performing artists from Gabriola...
Online Event Series: Application Open Now Couch Fest is a series of online events designed to celebrate and support the arts at home. The intention is to help bridge the financial gaps that our professional artists have incurred due to the COVID19 pandemic. As...
Community Business Directory
The Directory component is a newly developing resource for locals and visitors alike. Sign up is free for all local businesses and enterprises and we hope to encouraged the use of it widely.
The 3 linked websites, Tourism Gabriola, the Gabriola Chamber and this site are all fed by the same directory database. The goal is to get all businesses, community organizations and enterprise listed for the 3 islands in one, online searchable place, for both locals and visitors to use. The more fully subscribed the Directory becomes the better it will be as a tool for marketing, promotion, collaboration and networking.
The goals for this Community Economic Development site
To be full of resources, links and information for the many kinds of enterprise on the island.
To create a positive mindset and approach to our local economy, where we collaborate to build sustainability and we understand that fostering resiliency creates positive community wellbeing.
To connect, network and info share between local businesses, residents, organizations and visitors.
To share the projects, collaborations and initiatives being worked on by the Community Economic Development Officer.